[HeroWars] Re: Hero Quests R Uz

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:59:55 -0000

> > the minor, lesser heroquests that are done ever year to make sure
> > the crops grow and the Sacred Time is Sacred.
>
> Well its just a matter of degree really. I will write up some more
> on this (and why you can't just go and beat up on a lone crested
> dragonnewt to stop a months long drought) this evening, all being
well

Sure. A pity there's not more out on Heroquesting but I am hoping that will change in the near future. However, I'd be thinking that the dificulty of the opposition does generate the power of the gift - in SOME heroquests. Greg recntly said that some of them were set in stone for difficulty. These are those which interact with specific entities -- no stand-ins.

I'd be thinking that a full version of the Aroka quest would involve something big, blue and ungodly nasty (no, not the Tick).

> > The ones that don't usually
> > go wrong... (see previous comments by Robin and Roderick)
> >

> That is to say, they only go wrong when they become the focus for
> your game/session (well vice versa really, but YKWIM)

Yeah. Its a 'magician's choice: Chose one of these two horses. (if you pick the right one: That horse will be spared. if you pick the wrong one: That horse will be destroyed. A choice which is really no choice at all...)

> >> You pick on a scrawny Dragonnewt scout to beat up in your
> >> Aroka HQ, only to discover that on the Hero Plane he evolves into
> >> his future self as the Inhuman King of the Dragons Eye....
> <snip>
> > But its a nice touch, that fast-fowarard you mention.
> >

> At least partly inspired by an old "DRAGONLORDS" scenario where one
> of the encounters was a Dragonewt playing a game of Bridge with his
> other incarnations (The scenario was set inside the brain of a
> sleeping true dragon - although the characters never realised this
> until they escaped by climbing out of it's ear...)

I haven't had the pleasure of looking at that, sadly. Its a good touch and food for thought.

> [Jar Eel and Belintar]
> > I think she substituted as the goddess who sent him on to the
> > Underworld. And sent him to the "wrong" one.
>
> So either (1) One of us misremembered

This seems more likely as my memory has been alarmingly faulty of late.

> (2) We're working from different versions of the same
Myth,

This is possible. I am vaguely remembering some comments Greg made to me at GAMMA about Belintar's fate and just how truly screwed his current situation is. But I am quite willing to be wrong on this.

> or (3) The two stations are (or could be) a single one...
>
> It could almost be used as an example for this discussion!

True enough. Hmmm. I wonder if 'close enough for goverment work' applies to Heroquest myths.

Jeff