Re: Spirit AP; augmentation

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:24:33 -0800

Wulf

> spirit both lends AP as a Follower, and grants (or augments) an
> ability. But what if you start a contest with that ability? Do you
> get the AP 'twice'?

Hmm, p. 210: "if the user has the ability, or one similar, the spirit can augment the user ... *and* acts as a follower, adding its AP to his." Augmenting doesn't give AP, so the answer would be no.

> To clarify, if I use a Strong spirit of Might 17 (having no Strong
> ability beforehand), and start an armwrestling contest using that
> Strong, do I begin with 17 AP (the ability) or with 34 AP (ability,
> plus follower's AP)?

If you have no Strong, then you go by the rule "If the user does not have the ability granted by the spirit, he may use the spirit's target number and AP in the contest." So the answer is 17.

If you did have Muscular, then you would have 34 AP, plus whatever you could get by rolling for an augment.

So in one sense, you get the AP whether or not you have the ability. But if you do have the ability, you get an augment as well, if not you get a target number.

Graham

> My rule of thumb is that if the augment is for this action only, its a
> 'free action'. This lets players perform actions like 'I call on Humakt to
> guide my sword...'(roll dice)'...and skewer him through the heart.'(roll
> dice). If the augment lasts the whole contest - Yinkin worshipper grows
> claws then rips up trollkin - it takes an action to do.

Sounds like a good rule of thumb. (Oddly, one-roll augments have never really come up in our games.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein