Why theism is tops!!! (Was Re: Augment questions)

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:31:59 +0100

>    Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:28:08 -0000
>    From: " JEFFREY KYER" <jeff.kyer_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Augment questions

> Also, I am starting to realize that you can only make one enhancement
> from an affinity - at least of that type.  Can't use lightning sword
> and flickering blade to augment Close Combat. (But I could use one as > an augment and the other as an enhancement, it seems.)

Sure, you can. HW:RiG p. 133-4 says:

"Abilities may only be augmented by only one mundane ability, and only once per feat, but can be increased by several different feats. That is, a
*Swordfighting* abilty may be augmented by *Great Strength* or *Ferocity*,
but not both; and by many different feats, but not by the same feat twice."

Thus the only limits to a theist's augmentations to, say, *Close Combat* are his imagination and the time at his disposition because he can always invent feats by using a relevant affinity (*Combat* for ex.) with improvisational modifiers! For theists even the sky is not a limit...

Ex.:

Mashiman the Masher is an OA Devotee (Sword and Shield 5W, Unimaginative 1W, Combat Affinity 1W). He is trying to get a +5 augmentation to his CC ability by using the *Swordhelp Feat*. Trusting in his god he rolls a 5: failure. The narrator rolls a 5 too (5W resistance): success. Minor defeat for Mashiman whose *Sword and Shield* target number goes to 20. Demoralized and dim-witted as he is, he stops all magic and gets into the fight...

Vigga-Varna is an initiate of Vinga (Combat Affinity 5W, Smart 1W, Spear and Shield 1W) who is preparing her magic for an ambush. Trusting the laws of Asrelia (i.e. the laws of probability: Vinga's grandmother is associated with both the Earth and Luck runes-Luck the rune of augmentation!) she improvises a few feats with her *Combat Affinity* at 2W (5W - 3 improvisational modifier). Smartly she goes for a +1 augmentation each time, thus the resistance target number is only 5. For all practical purposes she has no time limit. Here is the result:

*Spearhelp Feat* +2 (Her roll 4: success. Narrator's roll 20: fumble. Major
victory.)
*Flickering Blade Feat* +1 (Her roll 16: success. Narrator's roll 6:
failure. Minor victory.)
*Leaping Shield Feat* +1 (Her roll 4: success. Narrator's roll 9: failure.
Minor victory.)
*Bladesharp Feat* +1 (Her roll 11: success. Narrator's roll 16: failure.
Minor victory.) (One can see that her player is an RQ veteran... )
*Disarm Trick Feat* +2 (Her roll 2: critical. Narrator's roll 16: failure.
Major victory.)
*Impaling Blow Feat* +1 (Her roll 15: success. Narrator's 11: failure. Minor
victory.)
*Fighting Leap Feat* +2 (Her roll 15: success. Narrator's 20: fumble. Major
victory.)
*Lightness of Weapons Feat* +1 (Her roll 9: success. Narrator's 10: failure.
Minor victory.) (She has read her Jane Williams... ;o)
*Stick It Under the Belt Feat* +1 (Her roll 19: success. Narrator's 6:
failure. Minor victory.)

She could go on, but her slightly anxious narrator announces that the ennemies are arriving in the kill zone. She begins the ambush with a very respectable 13W to *Spear and Shield*. Not doubt she will have no problem improvising further *Feats* if need be! She will have to use *Unrelated Actions* to do so, but if the fight is particularly tough it might be worthwhile...

Like I told you: theism is really tops! Try to get such a bonus at such a low cost with the other magic systems...

Christoph, mini-maxing in Switzerland