Hero quests: take the scenic route?

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:34:55 -0000

Obviously hero quests tend to be linear, because they are following an established myth, which is told a certain way.

However, I can imagine a case where the myth at least implied a possibly branch. For example "[the hero] bargained with the bridge keeper for passage, and finally agreed to give up a treasure, because otherwise he would have had to travel up the river, through the troll hills, and defeat the guardian of the blood-ford."

Could a quest actually offer a parrelel path? Sort of: at station 5, if you succeed you pass directly on to station 8. If you fail, or don't try, you must pass through stations 6 and 7 first.

For the most part taking the longer route would be considered unfavorable, as it adds extra risks and may burn off extra hero points. On the other hand it offers an alternative to "all or nothing" stations that can end a quest, it allows for some flexibility ("we'll never be able to pay the bridge-keepers price, but we are mighty warriors and can survive the long route"), and in rare circumstances hero's may wish to take on a particular otherworld challenge on the scenic route for personal reasons ("We have had ongoing trouble with the troll raiders of our traders. If I take the long route and bargain passage with the trolls, perhaps it will give us a starting point to negotiating peace").

A sub-option of the parrelel path would be a loop. "The bridgekeeper  told [the hero] that he must either give up a treasure, or bring back a tuft of wool from [somebody]'s silver sheep, that graze nearby. [The hero] gave up his grandfather's shield rather than risk the rath of the [sheeps owner]." So if you don't want to give up a treasure you can go do station 5a and steal or bargain for the wool, then come back to station 5 and complete it.

Of course, carry-over on the scenic route or loop stations may be much smaller than if you take the "official" route, since that wasn't exactly how it was accomplished in the myth.

So, am I being wildly heretical here, or does this sound like a valid option?

--Bryan