Re: Why theism is tops!!! (Was Re: Augment questions)

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:47:52 +0100

> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:04:19 -0800
> From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Why theism is tops!!! (Was Re: Augment questions)
>
> At 08:31 PM 1/17/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>>For all practical purposes she
>>has no time limit.
> Just FYI, in my game it takes a turn to perform each feat. Thus she'd still
> be prancing and casting her Feats when the fight was over for many
> participants.

Just FYI, in my game it also takes "a turn" to perform each feat... ;o) That's why my example was an ambush where for all practical purposes there are an almost limitless amount of "turns" to prepare one's magic!?! By the way, how long is a turn in your game? IMG, it would take much less than a minute to empower a feat because the rules say on page 138 that you need only one unrelated action in an extended contest to use one. In a combat for ex., you would renounce one of your rounds of attack to attempt to augment your CC with a feat. Thus-in my example-Vigga-Varna augmenting her CC with 9 feats seems perfectly legit and not so over-the-top. It should take her much less than 9 minutes, which can be done if the ambush is well prepared, can't it?

Of course there might be other problems... Flickering Blade is perhaps a noisy feat with all those electric sparkles flickering on the spearhead. Perhaps you need a sharpening stone as a prop to get the Bladesharp feat: noisy again. Perhaps a Leaping Shield can't stay in place and would also be noisy.

One of the would be ambushees might also use his Sense Gods Nearby ability: with all those active feats this seems perfectly legitimate. Or his Hear Words on the Wind feat with all this mumbling going on.

My problem as a narratrix (^-^) is that I have to *sell* HW to my veteran RQIII players who are very sceptical of the new rules. They aren't mini-maxers at heart, but a few of them are without a doubt rule lawyers! And the rules as they are currently written do not seem to put any limits to the amount of augmentations a theist can get through feats... *if* he has enough time. Time seems to be the only limiting factor.

But of course, as Jeff Kyer has said, I the GM can always say no. Sure, GM fiat is always an option and it is so in all RPGs. How satisfying for the players! And then why have rules, mmmmh?!?

Christoph, perplex in Switzerland.

P.S.: Vigga-Varna was not so smart after all because she forgot to touch her shield and spear while invoking her feats so that the resistance TN to her Combat affinity should have been 0 instead of 5. Cf. HW: RiG p.231:

"Some magic works better when the user of the magic is in contact with the target. In this case, the resistance is reduced by 5 points. Physical contact generally means that the caster of the magic has bare-skin in contact with the target.

Appropriate magic for the optional contact modifier are [...] almost all enhancements."