RE: Re: Please review my first Big Bad Spirit NPC

From: Graham, Andrew <agraham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 09:17:57 -0000

> I think, though, to answer the question someone else posted -- the way

> you get a Complete Success with breaching the Spirit Plane barrier is
> to go for a simple contest, rather than an extended one. Or
> to find a
> 'thin spot'

In an extend contest you have to beat the resistance of the barrier down to just before its breaking point [0 AP] Then hammer it with two very BIG bids [round about 70AP] and be prepared to back them up with a HP if required. That worked for me to break through to the gods plane. You will have a large starting AP level you can call on as the shaman and the fetch together will usual have at least 50AP. Then add suitable followers, rituals and community support and then 70AP bids don't seem that unreasonable. Risky, yes but shaman don't just take normal risks.

Of course the narrator could be kind and say a normal complete defeat of -40 is required for mundane trips to the other side. But I find aiming to beat that big barrier to -140 puts you in the right frame of mind for the rest of the quest.

-