Conversion & proselytization (Was Re: Re: Routine HQuests)

From: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:33:33 +0100

> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:33:03 -0800
> From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Re: Routine HQuests
>
>> OK, but then what happens when there are conversions to another cult,
>> especially mass conversions. This is a point that has always been obscure
>> to me: what is the mechanism of conversion in Glorantha.
>
> I'm assuming you mean mass conversions between *Pantheons*, not just cults -
> under the Lunar Occupation, the worship of Barntar "replaces" the worship of
> Orlanth, but because they are both in the same pantheon, most of the same
> rituals etc are used.

Right. That's not a problem.

> In the case of a Heortling clan converting to, say, the Lunar religion, we
> don't have rules, but I imagine that it's probably something like this:
>
> For the first few years, a bonafide priest of the new religion had better
> lead the ceremonies, because no-one in the clan knows them. This may take as
> long as a generation to get the proper rites known in the clan (ie, a child
> grows up in the religion and becomes a priest, and then can lead
> ceremonies). The Old Pantheon will try to "bring their people back to the
> fold" by sending agents of reprisal - and some high-ranking members of the
> old religion are going to be in a world of hurt, since gods *hate* to lose
> priests and devotees and some AoR's tend to attack 'til death. The new
> religion might (or might not...) be able to protect their new converts.
> You'll probably see a lot of high-end religious types leave the clan in
> order to keep their magic.
>
> The Clan/warband/temple wyters will leave unless *major* heroquesting
> convinces them that the new religion is cool, so there will be a wholesale
> reforging of communities - the Clan Ring, the temples, warbands, etc. A lot
> of accumulated magic will be lost (wyters hold all those heroquest goodies
> that you went questing "for the community"), so a newly converted clan will
> be pretty weak magically for a few years. Of course, the Lunars are probably
> *happy* to house a bunch of priests in the clan lands (oh, and of course the
> priests need guards...).
>
> Of course, it's easier if you can show that the new pantheon has a lot of
> the same gods ("you worship Ernalda, *we* worship Ernalda"), or that the new
> gods are really the old gods under a new name ("Look, you call the sun
> 'Elmal', but it's really just Yelmalio").

OK, but I would think that Yelmalio isn't part of the Storm Pantheon so it's still a case of Pantheon conversion. What kind of rituals do Yelmalions have for Sacred Time, I wonder?!

> Unless a scenario comes up in one of the story-arc books (like Sartar
> Rising), I doubt that you'll see actual rules for this sort of thing. This
> is big, BIG magic, and while HW can cover it mechanically, there are
> probably not a whole lot of times that player groups will need to use it.

That's too bad. It would make for a very interesting campaign to have players of Lunar characters trying to convert some Sartar clan to the way of the Moon or even better to have Heortling characters being seduced to the Lunar faith on an individual basis first and then who convert the rest of their clan. It's not as if it hasn't happened before, after all Blakmoor the Rabid-Kangharl Kagradusson, king of the Colymar from 1615 to 1625-was an Uroxi player-character in Greg's campaign who converted to the Lunar religion (Seven Mothers?).

On the other hand, later in the Hero Wars, I submit that Argrath will also practice a policy of counter-proselytization with his Temple of the Reaching Storm and the "reconquista" of former Heortling lands.

As I see it, a lot of fun scenarios can turn around the idea of conversion...

> It probably takes several Xw3 Capital-H Heroes (and/or Xw4 Superheroes) to
pull
> it off. A single Lunar Missionary probably won't be able to convert a clan
> in a year, it will take a lot of support from the lunar religious types (She
> might be able to start them on the road, though).

Thanks for your answers, Roderick, you gave me a lot of food for thought!

Christoph