Re: Improvised Feats

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:47:27 -0000

> Now I'm really confused! My impression was that you couldn't use
>the affinity itself for anything. That for initiates that score
> effectively translated to "use listed feats at affinity -3,
>improvise other feats at affinity -5, -6, or more."

Greg:
> The rules give the wrong impression. I apologize for that.

I've uploaded a Word document to the files section with Greg's comments,because I think they are quite significant. I'll do a text version at some point.

It is a considerable clarification from:

"The initiate has access to the secrets of the cult, and may learn the affinities of his god. The affinities must almost always be used with the Improvisational Modifiers."

[Initiates]
> Orlanth assists them in whatever manner he can at that time, and
>it's up to the narrator to decide how. And it is always a type of
>help that is appropriate to the deity. A wind, a squall, an alynx
>happenign by, a bonus to their sword and spear, whatever.

So the affinities are a still good guide for the narrator as to what help you god can give, but the initiate here is just saying 'Help!'

> An initiate can certainly ask for somethig that is specific
>like, "Orlanth, give me a big wind here," or "Orlanth, help me run
>across the mud here."
>But he gets an Improvisational Modifier (and not the wimpy -3, but
>at least -5 and often more) because he is being specific, which is
>the same as asking for a Feat.

Is this change implying that an initiate character has no ability rating in the affinity? For example Orlanth Adventurous initiates now no longer have an ability in affinities of Combat, Movement and Magic that they can raise with HP, but an Initiate of Orlanth ability (which they could raise with HP up to the 10W2 max).

Ian