Re: Hero quests: take the scenic route?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:09:31 +0000

Bryan Thexton wrote:

> Obviously hero quests tend to be linear, because they are following
> an established myth, which is told a certain way.
>
> However, I can imagine a case where the myth at least implied a
> possibly branch.

> Could a quest actually offer a parrelel path?
> A sub-option of the parrelel path would be a loop.

I recently ran an accidental HQ. The Heroes, of course, did not have a myth to guide them. Instead of a list of stations, I had a network. The type of action chosen at a station determined which station would happened next. The network had lops and parallel paths. Some paths held additional dangers and prizes not otherwise accessible. At an early station the questers approach the guards of Norag's (Inora's) Ice Palace. The questers could try to fight their way in, talk their way in or be captured. Each had a different result, but each could (perhaps in a roundabout way) lead to Norag (Inora) herself.

IIRC, the Greg said at Convulsion 2k that the network of paths on the hero plane IS Arachne Solara's web.