Re: imperial

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 05:07:46 -0000

I don't know if I have that one?

> Ket: "from nose to fingertip" roughly about a yard long.

As opposed to a Keet, which is about long enough for an axe.

> Half-march: "About 10 miles"

With or without Marius's Mules? Hmmm. I'd say that's a bit short until I remember how crummy the roads are...

> Sun Size: The distance in horizon between the (Northern) Peak and
> the (southern) well of Barda, being the measurement of how
> big the sun was when it set. Used to measure the sky.

Probably similar to an arc-second in usage. (Buserian, you fool! The TENT'S been stolen!)

> Raibanth Rod: A large water beetle is typically 1.35 rods long.
> A metal crocodile was 3.2 Raibanth Rods in length. Might
> be equivalent to a metre/yard.

Its the metal crocodile that bothers me. It can have the rod if it wants it.

> Short Knots: Speed of a water craft.
>
> Rings: measure of precipitation.
>
> Flags: Measure of wind force.
>
> Cloud Cover is measured in hundredths.
>
> Storms are measured according to Jar-Veeshna's Weather Codex and
> there are at least ten sorts.

Hmmm. Beaufort scale anyone?

> RSB (Raibanth Short B___?): Measurement of weight of catch.

Bushel. Possibly a measurement of food?

> I.T. (dunno): Measurement of Temperature.

Imperial Temperature. The temperature the Emperor likes his morning bath at.

> Solar Glm (dunno what Glm is): 718 Solar Glm is the height of
> the Skyfall Wound.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Thanks. Now I'm terrified... GlmGlm the Glm will probably come and get us all.

And of cource there's the klong. Defined as the minimum distance at which sheep remain picturesque (approximately 1/2 keymile)

Jeff