Character design Qs

From: reinierd_at_...
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:41:10 -0000

I had some characters I had designed for RQ3 and tried a simple conversion of them to HW. The most noticeable difference was that Issaries and Lhankor Mhy characters really stink in combat other things being equal.

Yes, you can give them special items or followers, but whereas an RQ3 Issaries dude could always cast a handy Befuddle or even Disruption, my new Issaries guy can only do a Clear Voiced Shout or an improvised Communicate Rage (you get the idea; pretty milquetoasty compared to anything from Babeester Gor). This stinks in combat, and combat is an important part of most Orlanthi stories.

Now, I don't want to resort to followers or superpowerful magic items (just doesn't fit my idea of the characters), but is have I overlooked ways to use Issaries's powers in combat?

On the other hand, am I putting too much stress on combat and overlooking the importance of Communication and Travel affinities?