Re: Character design Qs

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:08:00 +0000

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 12:41:10 -0000, reinierd_at_... wrote:

>I had some characters I had designed for RQ3 and tried a simple
>conversion of them to HW. The most noticeable difference was that
>Issaries and Lhankor Mhy characters really stink in combat other
>things being equal.

One of our players decide to 'cheat' during character creation (although with full narrator consent), he designed a character who, to paraphrase a bit of his 100 words, was

"Once a warrior, widely travelled, now worshipping the Knowing God to better understand the world so long at odds with him".

So, he has Warrior Abilities, but he's an Initiate of Lhankor Mhy... of course, I made sure he listed most other Sage-like skills in the 100 words, and he'll have to now improve these rapidly during play, but it gave the player a sword-sage...

You might want to allow secondary occupation keywords - some allow them at -2 TN, making the second 13, some allow them at 13 TN. Or insist they write their combat skills into the 100 words (anyone can do THAT!). But, especially for previously experienced characters, I would allow a second occupation.

Wulf