Re: Re: Character design Qs

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 16:46:56 -0800

> But I think the question was more to do with the help that these
> characters might get from their gods *in a fight* than their own
> combat abilities. RQ gave everyone a common core of battlemagic
> including spells like befuddle and disruption that would at least give
> your non-physical character a chance of contributing when the chips
> are down. There are a number of posibilities here

Their gods don't expect them to get into fights (well, at least not with swords - Financial manipulation and hostile takeovers, or academic bunfights are another matter). These gods are *not* interested in combat (it's bad for business/disrupts study). There have been many shifts in emphasis between RQ and HW, one is the de-emphasizing of combat (physical or magical) as "how to get your way". RQ borrowed much from D&D for "roleplaying", where the rules were written with an eye towards combat rather than "peaceful resolution" (take a look at the space dedicated to hurting things and that for other skills). With HW we have tried to tone down the "Violence is always an option" and tried more for "there is always another way". Part of that is removing a lot of "offensive magic" from the cults.

> 1) Use your "Worship Storm Tribe" and try and get some help from the
> more martial gods

This is the route to go if you have to.

> 2) Learn a Combat Feat as a one off feat from a Hero-Cult

Issaries does have a bit more adventuresome subcults, but LM doesn't. (more to be revealed in Storm Tribe...)

> 3) Visit the local Kolating Shaman and load up on one use Offensive
> Spirits

The diceiest proposition, it's not something that a god will look favorably upon.

RR