Re: Character design Qs

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:57:26 +0000

> From: reinierd_at_...
>Subject: Character design Qs
>
>I had some characters I had designed for RQ3 and tried a simple
>conversion of them to HW. The most noticeable difference was that
>Issaries and Lhankor Mhy characters really stink in combat other
>things being equal.

They fall short on the magic keywords, but I think that's a good thing.

>Yes, you can give them special items or followers, but whereas an RQ3
>Issaries dude could always cast a handy Befuddle or even Disruption,
>my new Issaries guy can only do a Clear Voiced Shout or an improvised
>Communicate Rage (you get the idea; pretty milquetoasty compared to
>anything from Babeester Gor). This stinks in combat, and combat is an
>important part of most Orlanthi stories.

Yes, though LM and Issaries are not famed for fighting in their myths. If you want combat-ready lawspeakers and merchants it isn't too difficult. For example, just let them worship OA as an initiate (or even subcult).

>Now, I don't want to resort to followers or superpowerful magic items
>(just doesn't fit my idea of the characters), but is have I
>overlooked ways to use Issaries's powers in combat?

Probably. Issaries magic can be used to negotiate a surrender.

>On the other hand, am I putting too much stress on combat and
>overlooking the importance of Communication and Travel affinities?

You can certinly be creative with the feats and improvise new ones. Our LM PC used Force Truth to augment a Vingan's close combat (admittedly in trial by combat).

They can also appeal to the Storm Pantheon directly (with high resistance).

Thom