Feats as Simple Contests in the middle of Extended Contests

From: rexabean_at_...
Date: Thu Sep 16 11:42:17 2010

G'day all,

I have been toying with the idea of making feats more interesting by treating them as also having the option of being more "spell-like" one-offs. So Breathe Flame instead of being a 10 AP bid would instead be an unrelated action done as a Simple Contest in an attempt to get a Major Victory (I suppose I am thinking back to Pendragons ?Major Wounds?) e.g. Major Victory effects last for a season or more so the loser is horribly burned and at -50% on all skills until healed or a season passes.

I think it may lead to more interesting descriptions and tactics since magic is no longer just another AP bid but can do interesting things to support your friends or discommode your enemy, especially if you have the mastery bump.

Otherwise as a GM I am finding it hard to keep combat interesting with fun descriptions since feats are technically only another way of doing AP bids. Although happily the roleplayers in my group keep trying interesting things which keep me on my toes as I award off-the-cuff bonus/penalties.

Cheers, Andrew