Re: Feats as Simple Contests in the middle of Extended Contests

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:05:34 -0000

Taking the risk of writing advocacy rather than exposition - to me, this is what makes the system so good. The problem that I had with RQ was that there was no way I could see how all of the great stories and myths that were written in Glorantha could be done within RQ. Oliver Dickinson tried writing up an actual RQ fight that Griselda participated in but it was not one of his better stories.

By having a single measurement of how I am doing in a contest regardless of the contest type and the methods my character and opponents are using frees me so I can try to emulate the stories and myths. OK the system is not simulationist and therefore Hero Wars forces me to work the imaginative (I hope) right side of my brain as well as the analytical left side to suggest the in world structure of what I am attempting (before the rolls) and the in world results of what happened (after the rolls). But I like it that way.

But I still want to see some more examples of how Greg and Roderick and Robin (and everyone else too, the aforementioned have no monopoly on how to do it right!) run interesting Gloranthan situations and events in HW. I recognise that I have limitations on my imagination and would like to see how other people do it so I can expand my boundaries.

I believe that Greg has said in the past that if he tells people how he does it, then far too many people will argue that that is the one true way and will not countenance any other. True, I am sure that some people will. But I won't, and anyone that I am interested in playing Hero Wars with won't (I hope). So here is looking for more exposition, but not at the price of too much delay to the background material.

regards,
Charles