Re: Feats as Simple Contests in the middle of Extended Contests

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:40:14 -0000

Well, it depends a lot on how the narrator rules things. I think it will spice up combat greatly if you do two things: 1) apply some minor one shot bonuses/edges for particularly clever moves, and more importantly
2) be pretty tough with improvisation penalties, so that a high close combat (or ranged combat) skill isn't the answer to everything in a fight.

Just to use the example of flight:
In the first instance say a hero flies directly above his oppenent, and then casts his spear down at him. You could fairly rule that there is a penalty to hit (smaller target from above), but that the defender will have as big, or bigger, penalty to dodge because it is hard to watch almost directly above your head. In addition, firing downwards maybe the flier will get an edge on the attack. Sure, it is still all AP changes based on dice rolls and the same chart, but it works out very differently than if the hero had just stood there and chopped at his opponent. (note that the hero may also have skill limits based on his fight while flying ability)

In the second case, say the hero wants to use his flight to go up above the opponents head, then make a high speed dive to drive his sword right through his opponents head. The hero may "attack" using his flying skill (making a very large AP bid!) because that is where the skill really lies. The defender might defend with a movement affinity of his own, with acrobatics, or with close combat....but if with close combat at a penalty because this isn't the sort of thing you normally have to defend against. Again, it plays out very differently than if you just stand there and chop at the guy.

In short, part of the tactics of combat (or any other contest) will be in finding out which of your skills or affinities match up best against your opponent's skill and affinities. I could imagine, for example, an orlanthi (or even Yinkin) initiate using movement abilities to attack a lunar hoplite, basically running/jumping/flying circles around him until you've gotten him disarmed and sprawling on the ground (in the meantime, he would have been attacking with with close combat, and you would probably be defending with the same, unless you wanted to face BIG improv. modifiers). This of course is why the Lunars don't send small detachments of hoplites into Orlanthi lands!

--Bryan

> Now, I agree that magic that is being directly used in an extended
combat
> should fall within the overal context of the extended contest, but
I really
> don't know what I should be doing with each different type of
magical feat.

> This leads directly to my biggest complaint about HW, there aren't
enough
> rules to guide GM's and players. Now I'm sure many people like
that, and
> that's fine. Many GM's have better imaginations than I do, and can
weave a
> fine story without any rules. I, however, like rules, they provide
structure
> for me to hang my adventure on. For all the pages that the HW rules
take up,
> there is precious little in terms of real rules. Hey, they can be
summarized
> in 4-8 pages. And while there are some examples, they are mostly
mundane
> examples. I do get tired of the response, sometimes, of well,
whatever works
> for your story. I do that for any game system, but I want rules to
> adjudicate critical parts of the story, and I am having problems
with the
> free form nature of HW.
>
> Not that free form is bad, heck I remember the few privileged times
I was