Re: L Mhy Warriors; sleep; book size

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:48:12 -0800

Jeff

> I could see the Sword Sages still being in the game but I would point
> out that they really _are_ a rarity and mostly found around Pavis.
> Not really enough to warrant their own subcult.

I was always fond of the Sword Sages (Indiana Jones) myself. They might qualify as a subcult, but they could also be a small hero band.

William

> our stout-hearted heroes find themselves once again in combat
> against the accursed Lunars. One of the members of the party is a
> Chalana Arroy priestess, who decides to use her sleep feat to put
> some
> of the Lunars out of commision. Would this use of Sleep be considered
> normal AP test (resulting in the loss and potential gain of AP's), or
> would it be a simple contest, within the extended contest.

Since it's in the context of an already-ongoing contest, it is best treated as part of an extended contest. Chances are it won't take them out in a single round, but the loss of AP is easily explained as "the Lunars start yawning and losing concentration" (which is IMO more realistic than the all or nothing approach).

> I also observe that it can be tricky for us neophites to HW to
> balance contests.

I find balance tricky in most systems. Hero Wars is about telling dramatic stories, so if things don't seem very dramatic, you might want to fudge (the broo has an extra fetish to release, etc.).

Thom

> I'd probably use something like this:
>
> marginal = drowsy/dazed (miss an action)
> minor = sleepy (miss an action, -1 penalty on future actions)
> minor = very sleepy (miss an action, 1/2x penalty on future actions)
> major = asleep
> complete = fast sleep

The problem with this approach is that you need something like this for just about every feat. Which is why HW doesn't take this approach. (But it's flexible enough that if you and your group prefer this, you can use it.)

Wulf

> The real question here is not "Is it a normal or Unrelated action in
> an Extended Contest", but "What happens if I use it as an Unrelated
> action, and fail"?

Again, the extended contest system handles this very nicely. If the Healer keeps trying Sleep and failing, she will wear herself out. Otherwise, you'll probably need some sort of other record-keeping system.

Ian

> I REALLY like those paperback sized products.

Glad to hear at least someone likes 'em! (I don't, but I wanted to see a slightly larger paperback, like most of my trade paperback fiction or technical books).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein