Re: Digest Number 444

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:54:49 +0000

> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>The problem with this approach is that you need something like this
>for just about every feat. Which is why HW doesn't take this
>approach. (But it's flexible enough that if you and your group prefer
>this, you can use it.)

I tend to agree. I only use simple contests in this way for a few things. In fact, off hand, I can only think of the weapon destroyer feat as being one that I may have used this way in play.

For the record, I tend to improve the outcomes from simple contests using the combat consequences as a guide. I most definitely don't pre-prepare lots of such tables.

My point was that you can pre-prepare such tables if you like (though, me ... I'll always probably just make up the outcomes on the spot).

My personal guideline is: "Does the ability involve generating physical injury?" If yes I treat is as an AP bid (which have to be resisted with another ability or whatever). If no, I decide whether it is best handled as a simple contest (as above), AP lending or even an augment.

Thom