Re: Spirits & Daimones (and Bears, tra la...)

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:48:49 +0100

Wulf :

> If a Shaman meets a (discorporate or incorporeal) Daimone,

Unless she meets it in the Sorcery Plane, the Spirit World, a Hell, or some other World where matter is non-existent she immediately deduces that it's one of :

My answers below will generally assume that it's none of these.

Most daimons cannot discorporate at all, AFAIK, unless they somehow travel into an otherworld where physical matter is an impossibility (such as the Black Age or the Spirit World).

However, some shamans (especially triolini ones and the uz) may belong to traditions that make no distinction between the Spirit World and the God Plane, and they *may* (or may not) have a "spirit" combat ability that is also effective against daimons. All highly debatable stuff here.

> can she treat it as a Spirit with a -20 'Alien' modifier?

Short Form answer : No.

But it's mainly up to the Narrator, and depends much on the precise circumstances.

> Can she attack it in Spirit Combat?

Not unless it's in the spirit world. It isn't a Spirit.

See exceptions above.

> Defend using Spirit Combat?

Only if the daimon is attacking with a Spirit combat ability, or if it is an unusual entity, or (perhaps) if it is in the Spirit World.

> Bind it into a fetish?

No.

The Tilntae write-up in AR says :

    Tilntae have all the powers of a daimon, spirit, or essence     while in the Mortal World,

          (... snip ...)
    if bound into a fetish, a tilnta could change into an     essence, and so escape the binding.

This strongly implies that only spirits can be bound into fetishes.

With the usual exceptions.

Therefore, even if a shaman were to defeat a daimon in the Spirit World, he would not however be able to bind it into a fetish.

Basically, because if he were to bring the defeated daimon into the Inner World, it would immediately acquire a material body, therefore occupying its own volume of space.

> All these, naturally, assume they meet in appropriate circumstances,
> and in an appropriate world.

Well, that is one hefty assumption there !! :-)

> Likewise, if a Theist has the Feat 'Kick Spirit Ass', can he use it
> on a Daimone with the -20 (plus, I assume, a nasty Improv Modifier)?

No.

Unless the daimon is also a spirit.

Julian Lord