Re: Spirits & Daimones (and Bears, tra la...)

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:10:36 -0000

> > If a Shaman meets a (discorporate or incorporeal) Daimone,
>
> Unless she meets it in the Sorcery Plane, the Spirit World, a Hell,
or some
> other World where matter is non-existent

OK, so I take it from this that Daimones are normally in some way, and do not float about. I wasn't 100% sure on that before. I have difficulty visualising some forms of Daimone (or theist spirit anyway...) as solid, but maybe that's still a problem with the visuals from KoDP and it's Ancestors & Ghosts (which we now seem to be treating as theistic entities).

> However, some shamans (especially triolini ones and the uz) may
belong to
> traditions that make no distinction between the Spirit World and
the God Plane,

What about Misapplied worship? I had been assuming that a Serdrodosan travels to the God Plane, and gets spirits - and these spirits were really God Plane entities.

> > Bind it into a fetish?
>
> No.
>
> The Tilntae write-up in AR says :
>
> Tilntae have all the powers of a daimon, spirit, or essence
> while in the Mortal World,
> (... snip ...)
> if bound into a fetish, a tilnta could change into an
> essence, and so escape the binding.
>
> This strongly implies that only spirits can be bound into fetishes.

I had assumed this was a Tilntae special, since as far as I remember only they can replicate the abilities of all three. However, I see the implication. However (again), it says an ESSENSE can escape the binding, it doesn't mention Daimones escaping binding, and further infers that Tilntae can indeed be bound (and so must be subject to Spirit Combat!).

> Therefore, even if a shaman were to defeat a daimon in the Spirit
World, he
> would not however be able to bind it into a fetish.

Not quite true, I think - according to the above, he COULD bind it, but (assuming Daimons have the same escapology tricks as Essenses) it could escape. Same end result, but different mechanics...

> Basically, because if he were to bring the defeated daimon into the
Inner World,
> it would immediately acquire a material body, therefore occupying
its own volume
> of space.

Do Daimons have their 'own' body? Or do they occupy/create a suitable one when needed? If the latter, the fetish might count as a body.

> > All these, naturally, assume they meet in appropriate
circumstances,
> > and in an appropriate world.
>
> Well, that is one hefty assumption there !! :-)

Just covering the shady corners of possibility :)

Wulf