Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:52:13 -0000

> Opinionated reply:
>
> The rules ensure your sharp sword will not work to your
> disadvantage if you loose.

I am asking for answers at two levels.

1 - I want the official rules answer with minimal interpretation

    that I can put in my program.
2 - I want to know the "best" way to handle edges including rules

    variants and interpretation that I can run in my game (actually     I have only run one senario over about 6 hours set in Benedict     Adamson's Fir Bull/Sambari campaign).

The way I have and, until convinced by a better solution, _will_ run edges when I am GMing/narrating Hero Wars is to subtract the opposition's edge from (or add the opposition's handicap to ) the actors edge (treating the actor's handicap as a negative number). The net number will be applied to the bid before multiplying.

For example, I have an edge of 3 and I bid 3 when acting. My opponent has an edge of 2 for a net edge of 1 in my favour. If I win the exchange, my opponent loses 4 AP (or 8 or 12 depending on the multiplier). If I lose the exchange, I lose 2 APs (or 4 or 6). If there is a transfer, then I gain what my opponent loses with a maximum on my gain of their APs at the start of the round.

If we both lose then I have not thought it through but I would tend towards me losing 2 and my opponent losing 4.

regards,
Charles