Re: Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:25:37 -0800

> > While the above method is a tad more realistic, it is probably
> > easier and favors the heroes much more) to total each combatant's
> > offensive and defensive ranks into one lump score. Using Kallai
> > again, his weapon rank plus his armor rank is 3 + 5 = 8. The
> > weaponthane's weapon rank plus his armor rank is 4 + 3 = 7. Kallai
> > would have a +1 Edge every exchange he won, and the weaponthane
> > would have a -1 Handicap every exchange he won.
> >

> I'm not sure I like this. Consider the case of Kallai (offensive ^3,
> defensive ^5) against a Gargoyle (offensive ^0, defensive ^10)
>
> Using the "standard" rules, Kallai must bid at least 8 AP to affect
> the Gargoyle (assuming he is only causing a loss of 1x), and the
> gargoyle must bid at least 6 in return (3-10 = -7 and 0-5 = -5).
> If you apply a "consolidated bonus" Kallai gets a total of 8 against
> the Gargoyle's 2, giving him a net handicap of -2, this means he does
> not have to risk as much to harm the Gargoyle, while the Gargoyle
> gets +2 - It's stony skin has just made it more effective offensively
> as well as defensively...

The answer is "how important is this fight?" If this is a nusiance encounter then an "overall" edge speeds things up and lets the heroes have a bit of a struggle (not too much, since HP usage can scramble this gargoyle pretty quick...) before moving on past the shattered remains of the Gargoyle. If the Gargoyle is the Big Bad Guy or the Loyal Henchman Who Attacks after the BBG is Dead (per too many James Bond Movies), then don't do an "overall" edge, calculate the weapon & armor ranks as normal.

Remember, in Hero Wars There is Always Another Way. As narrator you are encouraged to seek the "best" answer to the local question. It doesn't make sense to use AP in a certain situation? Then don't, make is a simple contest instead. This is meant to be a quick fight and our Hero has a mastery over his opponent? Ignore Weapon & Armor ranks entirely if it speeds it along. Don't get too tied into the rules as written, improvise, make up new interpretations, go with the flow.

RR