Re: OT Kipling Adaptations

From: Nick_Brooke_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 15:20:38 -0000

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> If wounded and left to die on Afghanistan's plains
> And the women come out to chop up the remains
> Just roll on yer rifle and blow out yer brains
> And go to yer gawd like a soldier...
>
> A version of it should exist in the Lunar Army but I'm having
> difficulty translating it.

This is *exactly* the spirit in which "Tarsh War" presents Tarshite womenfolk to the Lunars. "Whatever you do, don't let the women take you alive!"

See Harry Flashman's memoirs of his Afghan campaign for more.

Not forgetting John James' excellent Roman novels -- he has a line somewhere to the effect that fear of barbarian women has done more for the legions' discipline than any other factor.

Cheers, Nick