Re: Change of Devotee rules in TR!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:38:52 -0500

> Message: 22
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:43:32 +0000
> From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Change of Devotee rules in TR!
>
> Leaving aside the gender question for the moment, what effect do the
> new Devotee rules have on individuals learning single Feats or
> Affinities of other cults? Can a Devotee of Orlanth learn a Yinkini
> Feat? How about a Yinkini Affinity?
>
> It looks like learning an Orlanth/Ernalda Affinity equates to joining
> a Subcult. Could a Yinkini Devotee learn an Orlanthi Affinity (that
> is, without becoming an Orlanth Initiate)?
>
> Wulf

Its the same as it always was -- you'd have to take up a subcult or initiation. Becoming a devotee is a serious step. You do cut yourself off from other options by embracing one god's magics so completely.

Affinities are not just something you can order up from Sears and Roebuck or put onto your character sheet because you 'have spare time and commitment.' Its about religion and commitment. A Yinkini devotee can't learn an Orlanthi affinity, AFAIK. Of course, if you want to slug it out in combat or hunt and then laze around sensually, I would suggest being a devotee of some part of Orlanth such as Niskis and/or Orlanth The Hunter and pick up a few subcults.

I MIGHT allow such an initiation, but the time required for a devotee and then another initiation is just too high. I'd allow a dual initiation, certainly. I think that the new changes mean that somene can at least think about a character concept rather than min-max his cults for greatest efficiency.

Devotion = Devoted To Something. Not two somethings.... =)

Jeff