Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:41:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Alexandre Lanciani wrote:

> In HW everything is an ability, but there are several kind of abilities:
> physical, mental, equipment and so on. Sometimes though an ability belongs
> to more than one category: Mercenary, frex, can be interpreted either as a
> relationship, a personality trait or a flaw.
>
> Suppose the player chooses it as a flaw (the hero is despised for being
> a mercenary), but then he wants to use it as a relationship (Contact:
> Mercenaries). Would you allow him?

I don't think Hero Wars lends itself to a strong distinction between types of abilities. Some are a little special (meta-abilities, magic, equipment) but the only special thing about a flaw is you can get rid of it by spending a hero point. (I believe the only way to get rid of a normal ability is to wager it on a hero quest?) At generation time, the flaw is also free. I'd be wary about allowing people to get free 'useful' abilities - such as mercenary - but wouldn't think twice about treating a normal ability as a flaw if it worked.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net