Re: A Question about Abilties

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:49:35 -0000

> In HW everything is an ability, but there are several kind of
abilities:
> physical, mental, equipment and so on. Sometimes though an ability
belongs
> to more than one category: Mercenary, frex, can be interpreted
either as a
> relationship, a personality trait or a flaw.
>
> Suppose the player chooses it as a flaw (the hero is despised
for being
> a mercenary), but then he wants to use it as a relationship
(Contact:
> Mercenaries). Would you allow him

Yes, certainly. One of the most variable Abilities is Small. It can be an advantage AND a disadvantage all at once (harder to hit, easier to damage, perhaps), it all depends how you use it. Even flaws like Hate Lunars can be useful - it's a Flaw when you have to be polite, an Advantage when you have to resist persuasion, a Relationship when you want to contact other rebels, and, naturally, a Personality Trait.

Mercenary is certainly a good Personality or Flaw Ability, I'd allow it as a Relationship so long as the character clearly was a mercenary by profession, not just by inclination (like, if he was a Warrior, not a Carpenter...). On the other hand, if he was to make frequent use (even just a couple of times) of the Relationship factor, I'd require he cement it as a Relationship.

Wulf