Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:15:16 +0000

>Mercenary is certainly a good Personality or Flaw Ability, I'd allow
>it as a Relationship so long as the character clearly was a mercenary
>by profession, not just by inclination (like, if he was a Warrior,
>not a Carpenter...). On the other hand, if he was to make frequent
>use (even just a couple of times) of the Relationship factor, I'd
>require he cement it as a Relationship.

It seems to me that the described Flaw was more a local reputation as a mercenary. That's OK but it would likely have little relationship to his actual experience as a mercenary (which might be nil!). If the character had been a mercenary and there was nothing else on the character sheet I might allow some use it to find other mercenaries or possibly to find other retired mercenaries in the area. However I don't think it's likely that any of the character's past contacts would be alive, active AND looking for work locally. It'd probably be better to take mercenary as at least two abilities - one a flaw as described, the other(s) dealing with the character's experience as a mercenary.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.