Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:58:11 +0100

Il giorno 13-02-2001 12:41, Graham Robinson, gjr_at_... ha scritto:

> I don't think Hero Wars lends itself to a strong distinction between types
> of abilities.

    Definitely agree.

> Some are a little special (meta-abilities, magic,
> equipment) but the only special thing about a flaw is you can get rid of
> it by spending a hero point. (I believe the only way to get rid of a
> normal ability is to wager it on a hero quest?) At generation time, the
> flaw is also free. I'd be wary about allowing people to get free 'useful'
> abilities - such as mercenary - but wouldn't think twice about treating a
> normal ability as a flaw if it worked.

    Actually how many HP are needed to increase a flaw? None, I think. As a Narrator I usually increase the rating of a flaw if something happened during the session that warrants it. Allowing a player to use a flaw as an useful ability gives him the possibility of increasing a useful ability without having to pay for it. Of course, it is still mainly a flaw and I'd still allow it. After all it makes sense: people see you hanging around with your old mercenary buddies and begin to look you down again (or even more than before) and in turn you are excluded so that you naturally gravitate back to your old questionable friendships (thus increasing Mercenary both as a flaw and as a relationship).

    Anyway many many thanks everybody for the answers. I think I won't bother with having an ability of the same name appear in every box on the character sheet, but I'll allow for a certain degree of flexibility. So keeping with the Mercenary example, Mercenary Contacts would be alright but certainly not Mercenary Followers or Mercenary Captain Ally.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.