Re: Subcults, affinities, feats and Thunder Rebels

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 22:20:00 -0000

What page? I think this is not quite the page you mean...

> "However, they may join subcults and hero cults of the god to learn
> their magics, whether feats _or_ affinities".
>
> Is that an inclusive or and exclusive _or_?

Initiates NEVER learn feats (unless they are stand-alone feats)

I will quote from p 186: (Ernalda)
Initiates learn the affinities of their aspect and subcult and may improvise feats from those affinities. Devotees learn the affinities and specific fears of their aspect and subcult.

On page 218 it says the exact same thing (for Orlanth)

I'm not sure how that paragraph can be ambigious.

> The question could also (to put it in a more practical sense) be
> asked as:
> Does an initiate of Orlanth Adventurous (Destor) get the affinities
> of Combat and Movement and the affinities and feats of Wind?

Initiates never learn feats. Your sample initiate gets Combat, Movement and Wind affnities. No feats.
If he was a devotee (of Destor, just to be sure), he gets those feats specific to those affinities, including any special one-off feats that supplement the base affinities (such as Destor's extra movement feats). Initiates, because they are Initiates, do not get these extra feats.

If the devotee were to also join, say, Ormayala the Hunter, he would get the Hunting Affinity but none of the feats (because he's not devoted to Yavor) and, since he's not a devotee of an aspect of Adenturous, he could certainly learn those extra Movement feats because he's got those affinties through his Devotion to Destor.

See p 70-71 for an long, detailed example.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Jeff