Re: Re: Dar and Rex

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:52:02 +1300

At 00:06 14/02/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Metcalfe:

> >Who says they have to change subcults? When a chief worshipping
> >Dar becomes a tribal king, he still worships Dar. The distinction
> >between the Chieftain and King is explicitly stated to be artificial

>Yes, and that leads to some terminological confusion.

How so?

>The defining
>characteristic of a subcult seems to be that it has its own affinity. And
>the Chieftain and King have affinities that are different in both name
>and function.

Like I said: the distinction between Chieftain and King is stated to be artificial. As it states just above the keywords referred to:

         The magic of Dar the Leader differs depending on whether the
         worshipper is a clan chieftain or a tribal king.  In Hero Wars
         we make an artificial distinction by providing two keywords to
         reflect this.
                         TR 232.

The affinities is really the same thing and do not change. What does change is the _target_ of some of the feats. A clan chief that becomes a tribal king might have to learn new feats to invoke his tribal powers but he does not lose any of his old powers.

>In this sense the distinction is real and not artificial.
>But hey, I'm inclined to cut the King some slack.

But I'm pointing out that you don't need to place a garrote on him in the first place.

> >Most tribal kings also worship Rex in addition to Dar.

>I would assume High Kings do as well.

Why? Rex is for tribal kings only.

>That Authority affinity is just too useful to pass up...

There's nothing much that the authority affinity that the High King couldn't do with his Rule Kingdom affinity. Want to get a priest to stop jerking around? use Intimidate Subordinate Leader.

--Peter Metcalfe