Re: Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:07:12 +0000

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:58:11 +0100, you wrote:

>Il giorno 13-02-2001 12:41, Graham Robinson, gjr_at_... ha
>scritto:
>
>> I don't think Hero Wars lends itself to a strong distinction between types
>> of abilities.
>
> Definitely agree.
>
>> Some are a little special (meta-abilities, magic,
>> equipment) but the only special thing about a flaw is you can get rid of
>> it by spending a hero point. (I believe the only way to get rid of a
>> normal ability is to wager it on a hero quest?) At generation time, the
>> flaw is also free. I'd be wary about allowing people to get free 'useful'
>> abilities - such as mercenary - but wouldn't think twice about treating a
>> normal ability as a flaw if it worked.
>
> Actually how many HP are needed to increase a flaw? None, I think. As a
>Narrator I usually increase the rating of a flaw if something happened
>during the session that warrants it. Allowing a player to use a flaw as an
>useful ability gives him the possibility of increasing a useful ability
>without having to pay for it. Of course, it is still mainly a flaw and I'd
>still allow it. After all it makes sense: people see you hanging around with
>your old mercenary buddies and begin to look you down again (or even more
>than before) and in turn you are excluded so that you naturally gravitate
>back to your old questionable friendships (thus increasing Mercenary both as
>a flaw and as a relationship).

I had a player quite happily spending HP to increase his Heavy Drinker flaw. He would on occasion use it to augment his Tough ability before embarking on drinking contests, which he invariably won. Once managing to reduce another player character to -54 AP...

Is Carl Hiaassen shaking his head and saying "If I'd have written this, no-one would have beleived it?"