Re: Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:29:32 -0800

> Actually how many HP are needed to increase a flaw? None, I think. As

None. You use HP to reduce a flaw, and eliminate it entirely once it hits 12.

> Narrator I usually increase the rating of a flaw if something happened
> during the session that warrants it. Allowing a player to use a flaw as an
> useful ability gives him the possibility of increasing a useful ability
> without having to pay for it. Of course, it is still mainly a flaw and I'd
> still allow it. After all it makes sense: people see you hanging around
with
> your old mercenary buddies and begin to look you down again (or even more
> than before) and in turn you are excluded so that you naturally gravitate
> back to your old questionable friendships (thus increasing Mercenary both
as
> a flaw and as a relationship).

As the narrator, you should *always* strive to make those flaws as incovenient as possible for the person who took 'em. If the player is *consistantly* using a "flaw" as a "good" ability, or simply ignoring it, you aren't doing your job - it's time to hit him with a problem directly related to the flaw "Your old mercenary buddies are in town and they've busted up one of the chief's bodyguards. Since you vouched for them to the chief and the clan, they are *your* responsibility" "What do you mean I vouched for them?" "Well, you got some help from them last session when you were fighting that band of broo, and the session before that you called on them to help clear out that band of Gagarthi, and the session before *that* you used your relation with them to threaten the Black Oaks, so they've been around for a while. They are *your* friends, so you must have vouched for 'em. The chief is demanding 20 cattle recompense..."

As GURPS (or was it Hero?) says: A flaw that never comes into play isn't a flaw...

Roderick