Re: Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:20:15 -0600

Henrix says:

>I would prefer not to have to try to distinguish between flaws and other
>traits. I have not played that much, yet, but I have found it hard
>sometimes to decide wether a trait is physical, mental or a flaw, but
>generally it does not matter. Of course, some traits are obviously flaws,
>but if the player can find a way to make it useful it just adds to the fun,
>does it not? I certainly do not feel the need to punish her for it!
>
>Some of the people I know, and sometimes game with, would take your
>suggestions as "whatever you do, do not take a flaw". And that would be a
>loss to the MGF.

        Bravo! One of the things I really like about HW is its flexibility. "A flaw is a flaw is a flaw" doesn't really help this. After all, nearly anything can be a flaw at some time: crawling through a tight cavern? "Big," "Brawny," and "Bloated with Muscle" are all flaws. Got a high Close Combat? If it causes you to be a target by "big guns," it's a flaw. High Heortling law? Not the best thing to have when you're roped into a dispute between Hrothgar the Vindictive, Chief and posessor of "Vengeful 10W2" and the local Urox band. Even "Speak New Pelorian," useful when stealing secrets from the Lunar command, may be a flaw if a Hidden Gale member decides that it means you're a double agent.... Rather than insist that flaws always be handicaps, it might be better to think of how all traits, especially the often ignored and low level, can be used to make game sessions more fun for everyone.

Peter Larsen