Re: clan generator output; flaws

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:32:59 -0800

Simon Bray wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you save the clan that you
> generate using the 'Clan Generator' at www.glorantha.com? I have tried cut
> and paste (just won't do it), I have tried 'Save As' but it only saves what
> it sees (if you know what I mean).

I had trouble too; someone said it depends on the implementation of Java you're using. Additionally, it might help if one of the authors "signed" the applet (which might give it permission to access the system clipboard).

Henrix

> it is not as if the players have gotten any points to
> build their heroes with from taking these flaws (in HW as opposed to GURPS
> and Hero). In fact they have spent potential min/maxing resources (words in
> their description or one of their traits) to get the flaws!

Yup. You don't need to be bribed to roleplay, like a GURPS player :-)

> The players use resources to add character to their heroes and I (the
> G...Narrator) must ensure that they really feel that the flaw is a flaw and
> not something that is sometimes good but mostly bad?

As a Narrator, I'd be happy to occasionally let a player use a flaw to achieve a desired end, as long as it was interesting in context. (In one of our games, a character was described as Thick, which often meant that he could be hoodwinked by a clever person, but sometimes could be used to defend against doing what he didn't want to, on the grounds that he couldn't quite understand it). In fact, the character I just created is "Hard of Hearing," which I suspect could be used the same way.

But I might get cranky if it was used all the time as a positive thing.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein