Re: Fyrds, Shieldwalls, etc.

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:05:35 -0000

Perhaps. But there's always going to be other roles for heroes -- attacking the enemy magicians, challenging their champions. A quick read of the battle styles of the Heortlings gives a great many ways to be heroic.

And you're still leftwith a battle to resolve in some reasonable and _fun_ fashion.

> I am wondering when a situation becomes "Mass Combat"
> a) within a mass battle, two sworn enemies move to high ground to
> fight a duel -- any mass combat skills/benefit of a good comander
> would not apply

When you have nenough folks for a decent sized formation. Or when it becomes too complex or silly to run as an extended contest with x followers. I generally look at it when there's about 20 or so on a side.

> b) The gladiators in Gladiator. The individual tough guys are
> getting picked appart by Chariot-mounted opponents. The ex-General
> whips them into a few classic Roman fighting formations, and they
win
> the day.
> You could do the last as i) the general's "strategy" augmenting
> individual close combat skills, ii) an improvised Mass Combat,
> augmented by the "Strategy" or leadership and resolved as a
> collective enterprise

Leadership augmenting his men. And then a formation bonus. Some things are just more effective ways of fighting a particular threat, as Maximus demonstrated.

> Someone posted a number of good suggestions (damn, where are they?),
> imagine a leader backed by 1000 of followers, lending monstrous AP
> and gaining collective Edges from their respective weaponry and
> armour.

Brian Laxon posted those back in May, I think. I'll ask him to repost or re-fine his rules.

(Interesting and useful suggestions by deleted)

I'm looking at soemthing midway between Pendragon (which was kinda long and kludgy) and the HW system.

Jeff