Re: Magic Skill Fumbles

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:34:55 -0000

> I was wondering how everybody interprets these.

<fun examples snipped>

> Are both these too harsh?
> What do other people do when Heroes fumble magic and magic
> related skills, or what would other people do in these
> situations?

If a character fumbled such a roll during an extended contest and subsequently won that contest then I feel it should have no further effect beyond the transfer of APs during that round. If they lost that extended contest on a major or complete defeat, then I might use the fumbled roll as a pointer to the sort of long term issues that might result from the loss, in addition to the immediate effects of the loss.

On the other hand, if they had fumbled a simple contest or ability test roll then I would impose some penalties.

If it were just bad luck (i.e. the fumble) then the maximum penalty I would impose is about -5 or so. If, however, the character had a history of not following his god's "virtues" and other strictures then I might consider imposing penalties as harsh as you have.

regards,
Charles