Re: Digest Number 474

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:26:22 +1100

Graeme:

> While John's ideas certainly look like they could work, they are reliant
> on (some, not necessarily all) players being available at the same
> time. Which basically means that although my character and John's live in
> the same stead, they can never meet, because we can't make IRC at the same
> time.

I agree - I've played in US-based irc games, but it involved some careful planning and odd hours (usually on a weekend). Given the level of interest, it might be possible to arrange games and events for folk in the same time zone - Europe, Asia/Oz or US/Canada.

I'm pressed for time over the next few days, so my present response has to be short. If folk are interested in the concept, but are confused by all these IRC/Mirc/chat references, let me know and I'll post some FAQ links.

It seems by the initial interest that chat/email HW could be a big thing. For many of us, the opportunities for face-to-face roleplaying get restricted as we age or choose to live apart from urban centres.

My initial thought for chat-based HW would be to start simple - maybe specify a GMT time, a network and a channel, and get together to roll up some characters and go through some simple mechanics. Then maybe have someone run an intro scenario over a few sessions to find our feet. I'd jump in and organise this myself, except I'm still unfamiliar with HW rules - having only done a few exploratory sessions. Anyone care to volunteer to run an on-line intro session for beginners?

Thank you Chris for setting up an online campaign! Good luck with the project, and please keep us informed about how things develop.

John

nysalor_at_...                John Hughes

"When it comes to emotion, sometimes the greatest  heroes are also the greatest idiots."