RE: Two weapons

From: Weihe, David <weihe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:36:32 -0500

> From: Andrew Barton
> > As far as I know there is very little evidence of
> > two-weapon use in the
> > ancient/medieval world--the only example I can think of is
> > Renaissance rapier-duelling (highly stylised).
>
> The other example is samurai swordsmen - IMO again primarily
> as a duelling skill.
>
> If you're going to provide an edge to this style, there
> should also be a
> penalty when under missile fire or fighting as part of a formation.
>
> Are there any mentions of this style in myth or heroic literature?

The Romans had two-gladius fighters in the arena, as well as net and trident. American Indians sometimes used knife and tomahawk, also (taking dime novels as the 19th C heroic sagas).

Then there is the Viking two-javelin use that was claimed for some king (the name Trygvasson sticks in my mind, here).

Again, only one-on-one dueling. OTOH, that is what heroes engage in the most. The battleline is for the nameless hordes, the Myrmidons (why do you think they called them 'ants'?) as opposed to their prince, Akhilleus, or his companion Patrokles.