Re: Godking Hero Cult

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 21:18:58 -0000

Maybe more appropriate to the straight "hero wars" list, but I'll answer here anyways.

> I've some questions about a potential Hero Cult for Belintar,
Godking of the
> Holy Country.
> My campaign takes place in 1616 ST, in Kethaela and the Pharaoh is
about to...
> disappear.

Sounds like the basis for a great campaign!

> As most of the six parts of Kethaela are theist, I mostly thought
about it from
> a theistic POV, but my first question would be : is it possible for
a powerful
> enough hero to have hero cults from different kind of magic users ?

Two thoughts here: I suspect that, strictly speaking, the proper cult of a hero will be of the same nature as the hero him or herself. So if he is fundamentally theist, his cult will be properly theist. Which is not to say that there can't be spirit and sorcerous sides to it. Either they could have mis-applied worship (which would help keep the theist part of the cult dominant), or there could be related but fundamentally distinct spirit and sorcerous cults. In the latter case those cults could follow heroes of the appropriate tradition who were early supporters of Belintar, or they could be older hero cults that he bent to his purposes.

Actually, I suppose you could even have both cases. Mostly political spirit and sorcerous cults that give mis-applied worship to Belintar (providing little direct benefit but letting people show their support for him) as well as more useful but more obscure hero cults that are only open to those who have proven themselves trusted agents (letting him co-opt certain potential threats by offering them access to secret magic). Heck, the same situation could even apply to the theistic hero cult. Personally I like this option because I always viewed the guy as having wheels within wheels within wheel with his plans.

But this is all just speculation, I know absolutely zip about the official take on him.

--Bryan