Re: Re: Fyrd stats

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 08:56:43 -0600

Jeff Kyer said:

>My own take on the fyrd is that they are 17 Close Combat, Spear ^3 &
>Shield with lousy armour ^2... And I give them an initiate keyword at
>13 (or 7 as well) -- just the sort of followers you'd get a 5w skill
>level. (The minimum a PC hero can get)

        Obviously, your game is your game, but this seems high to me. If you treat a fyrd member as a starting hero (and I think they should be weaker, but that's me), they would have Farmer (or maybe Herder or Crafter) at 17, Heortling at 13, and some helpful initiate keyword (Durev the Householder or some such) at 17. This gives them combat skills of 13, which matches the average values of cultural fighting skills elsewhere in the rules. Remember, the fyrd are farmers, not fighters, even though their lives lead them to practice arms (unlike, say, your average Pelorian Farmer).

        Besides, giving the fyrd combat scores of 17 will make your player characters less special, and far above "non-combat" players. However, whatevr works for you....

Peter Larsen