Re: Re: Fyrd stats

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 10:48:00 -0600

Jeff Kyer said:

>Remember, that's in a perfect world. And probably an idealized case.
>Most clans are not on a 'war footing' like that. I would expect the
>tribal warband to be like this but I would not expect it of a clan.
>
>Its a 'wish list' of what a Chief would like. But most of the time
>they make do with warriors as best they can, I think.

        Something else to consider is other possibilities beyond weaponthane/fyrd. There must be people who are not weaponthanes but have combat skills beyond those of the average fyrd member. Some of these might cheerfully join the warband. The Hedkoranth shrine atop the High Hill in the west of the Tula gets a regular offerings of grain and cows for their assistance in keeping the hail away during planting (and 'cause who wants a pissed-off Hedkoranth gunning for your clan?). The god-talker and the 4 clan members who are initiates join the warband for fun and profit. Odd One-arm, once clan champion, is retired, but will still take up a sword to raid the Black Oaks (because he hates them, of course). And so on. These guys may be counted among the fyrd or the thanes or not at all, but they are worth more than the average clan member in combat and are more flexble in which roles they will play.

Peter Larsen