Re: Stormapples and Windberries

From: bruce_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 13:30:35 -0000

This is, for me, one of the most fun things about Hero Wars - the enigmatic reference. It's particularly good for demo games. Seeing how different players will interpret the same reference - for example, one of the pregen heroes I use carries the "Sunfire Bottle" -  I didn't know what it did when I made it up, still not sure of the extent of its powers now. :) Every new player seems to do something different with it, from keeping warm in the hills in winter, to setting fire to undead nasties with it.

It's one of the only way a player gets free reign with their creativity over a part of the setting - they get to define the cool magical McGuffin/special feat/esoteric knowledge themselves. And as a Narrator, you can get some cool stories out of it. And it even takes some of the burden of making everything up away from the Narrator.

Speaking of which...

> BTW, in our gaming group, we are now taking turns to run sessions
in
> Benedict Adamson's Fire Bull clan set-up. And it is turning into
an
> even more interesting co-operative story telling venture.

Yes, this is an excellent thing! It really spreads the work of making up new bits of the setting. The change of Narrator helps keep things fresh and changes the pace, bringing in some new and different ideas.

One thing I've been very conscious of in running HW myself is that, to do a clan-based setting justice, you can easily end up creating huge numbers of NPCs. A "Tag Team" approach to Narrators will really cut down the burden on any one individual. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Regards,

Bruce