RE: Re: Stormapples and Windberries

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:51:09 -0000

wrote:

> But for Stormapples, I might like to say something like "They're eaten
> before ceremonies in Earth season, where they lend their special magic
> to the harvest rituals" and let the players come up with appropriate
> uses from there. I'd probably say the Windberries normally make you
> more 'wind-like' or 'let you express your inner wind'. If the players
> do something especially appropriate with them, I give them a positive
> modifier; if they do something inappropriate, I give it a penalty or
> disallow it.

This is exactly the right thing to do. I'm sure that Charles' Esrolian broach and my corn dolly (what does a Humakti want with a fertility symbol, anyway?) will only be useful in certain special circumstances, and that we'll all stop each other trying to do anything inappropriate, like using them to beat people to death. :)

> Unfortunately, some of my players cannot (yet) be trusted with this
> much power over the storyline. I may need to be energetic with the
> vetoes...

Part of the the beauty of the enigmatic reference is that its power is limited by the value of the Ability that the hero has in it. At the moment, Jonrik has "Corn Dolly 12". Whatever he comes up with to use this for, it's not going to have a huge effect in rules terms (in story terms, maybe). Your players will have to spend lots of HPs to get to the point where their windberries are "game breakers". :)

Regards,

Bruce