RE: casting sorcery

From: Jeffrey Zahari <jeff_zahari_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:51:45 +1100

>I've always imagined sorcery to be a very book-based system of rules and
>rituals - something like the modern practice of law (Not really that
>surprising since I am an attorney). If I was cut off from my source of
>books, treatises and practice guides, I would lose access to much of my
>legal "affinity" and could not longer cast many of my favorite legal
>"spells".

This would be the way I'd play it. The way the rules work, however, you would be able to remember any cases you had worked on in the past, as long as you had with you your palmtop organiser (or whatever). Only if you lost the organiser would you need to consult the books again (when you need to spend three days preparing your case).

This seems to make personal grimoires less important, and libraries more so. Fine with me--I like the image of the wizard poring over shelves and squabbling with the librarian; perhaps sneaking into the Room of Proscribed Texts. Shades of 'Name of the Rose'.