HW basic stuff

From: Coridan <argrath_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:57:35 -0000

Allright. I've been doing an intensive review of both HW and TR in prep for my HW Sartar Rising PBEM game. I just want to make sure I have a few character creation and advancement things straight.

First, I presume that Theist characters that start the game as Initiates can gain new Affinities from their god's subcults if those subcults are part of the same aspect. For example, Ognar Greytooth is an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous, of the Destor subcult. Can he pay 3 HP and gain a new affinity at 12 from any other OA subcult, such as Vangath? This seems to be what the rules imply. I also presume that Devotees can pay either 3 points for a new Affinity from a subcult within their aspect and 1 point for a new Feat. I presume that the standard rule of 1 HP per Feat also applies, here, and that a Feat is gained automatically when the Affinity is learned in game, but that the rest of the Feats have to be learned individually, and that trying to use a Feat without having learned it gains an Improv mod.

Second, direct initiation to a Great God. HW states that Initiates and Devotees of a Great God gain access to *all* Affinities and Feats of the god. What does this mean for beginning characters? Is initiation and devotion to a great god something that can only be done in game? If not, what Affinities and Feats does an Initiate or Devotee of a Great God get at the beginning? All of them? If so, such a character would be very powerful at the beginning, although ultimately capped. Or is devotion to a Great God something a worshipper grows into? Or is this Discipleship?

Third, associate magic. One of the things I always liked about RQ2 and 3 was the ability to become an associate priest of an allied deity - for example, an Orlanth priest becoming an associate priest/acolyte of Issaries in the RQ2/3 rules, being able to perform Issaries ceremonies and have some access to resuable Issaries magic. Certain magic was also shared with allied deities - for example, Orlanth lending the Shield spell to his Lightbringer allies.

I propose that to duplicate this, that in long form cult writeups a secton be included for Associate cults, and for one Affinity with a limited number of Feats (say, only 1 or 2 as compared to the full range of Feats that an actual Initiate or Devotee of the full cult could use) that allies grant to Devotees of the God/Cult. For example, Orlanth Adventurous might look something like this...

ASSOCIATE MAGIC - Chalana Arroy - The White Healer lends the King of the Storm Gods power from her Healing Affinity, lending him the Heal Chaos Wound, Heal Injury and Stop Bleeding Feats.

Issaries - Goldentongue lends his boon companion use The Detect Ambush and Protection While Sleeping Feats from his Travel Affinity, and his Lock Box and Make Safety Alarm from his Merchant Affinity.

Lhankor Mhy - The Grey Sage lends his chieftain his Force Truth Feat from his Law affinity.

Eurmal - The Trickster lends Orlanth the Steal Item Feat from his Theft affinity, as Orlanth and Eurmal both weapons and things, apart and together.

My feeling is that I'd limit associate magic to a max of 10W for Initiates and 10W2 for Devotees.

Comments? Please also email any replies to the e-mail below... thanks for your help!

Chris Bell
argrath_at_...
coridan_at_...
The Hero Wars Are Now!