Re: Minor System Questions

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:08:24 -0800

> 1.AVERAGE ATTRIBUTES
> While I understand that non-defined attributes are 6...what about average
> strength...eg if someone had no strength-related keyword or ability, would
> that mean they were Strong 6?? Doesn't seem right somehow.....

Yes, just 6. Remember that a single Hero Point can then raise that to 12 (too late for the current adventure, but...)

> **My take(s): Either I just lump em in as 13 (like a cultural keyword) or
> treat 6 as average (which is less than default resistance of 14 <== does
> this only apply to magic tasks?), and just have lots of simple contests.

14 is the "resistance of the world" - it can be used for other things than just magic. Often, though, an item or situation might need narrator intervention - even though the scenario writer didn't note that the tree has a "well rooted" or "heavy" characteristic, your Strong 17 character shouldn't be able to pluck that 50' oak tree out of the ground with a mere 14 resistance!

> 2. MASTERY AND TIES
> Adam is 10W in wrestling
> Bill is 10 in wrestling
>
> If A rolls a 1, he gets a critical success (cant bump higher).
> If B rolls a 1, he gets a critical success.
>
> Is this a tie even though Adam has the extra mastery?
>
> **My take: From reading the rules I suspect this is the case...so in this
> instance, mastery has no advantage?

Russell asked this in a seperate email to HW-Questions (on the Issaries site).

The answer is "yes" - there is no die roll better than "Critical". Adam has a 10/20 chance of rolling a critical, Bill has a 1/20. The question Bill has to ask himself is...does he feel lucky?

RR