Re: Shhh...

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:20:16 -0800

Wulf

> had
> written into a character's 100 words an enchanted item which WAS just
> a Rune Spell in RQ2/3, but is now a Secret... However, I replaced the
> magic with a lesser one quite happily.

Depending on the specific secret, I'd probably say that it's an item with a similar but non-transcendent power -- for example, it might not work like a mystic strike. (Like Roderick, I try to say "yes, but" rather than "no.")

Chris asks

> Second, direct initiation to a Great God. HW states that Initiates
> and Devotees of a Great God gain access to *all* Affinities and
> Feats of the god. What does this mean for beginning characters?
> Is initiation and devotion to a great god something that can only
> be done in game?

Urgh, a test of my policy... I probably would require it to be in play, it seems like the province of extraordinary (once per lifetime) characters, and doesn't seem that advantageous in some ways (when you learn the secret, you're out of play!).

Rusty

> Adam is 10W in wrestling
> Bill is 10 in wrestling
>
> If A rolls a 1, he gets a critical success (cant bump higher).
> If B rolls a 1, he gets a critical success.
>
> Is this a tie even though Adam has the extra mastery?
>
> **My take: From reading the rules I suspect this is the case...so in this
> instance, mastery has no advantage?

Sure, though in a simple contest the result is "Narrator decides," and she could justifiably say that Adam, being so much better, wins.

Peter answered

> >(which is less than default resistance of 14 <== does
> >this only apply to magic tasks?)
>
> Yes.

I think Peter might be technically correct, but there's little point in rolling for a contest against something much less than 14, so we tend to make 14 the default resistance for just about anything. Of course, the situation always matters -- some tasks are much harder.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein