Re: augments n' fightin'

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:14:36 -0000

> 1. When I read through AR, I see reference to 'tough 18' for the
Uzdo
> Warrior, I wonder how exactly that is used....
> In a fight, I understand that 'tough' might be used to perhaps
augment or
> provide an edge to a close combat ability, would this be done as an
> 'unrelated' action during the fight?

there are lots of ways to use 'Tough'. You need it (or a similar ability) to attempt a Final Action. You can indeed augment a defensive ability (I'd say it gave an edge rather than a bonus). You COULD say it needed an Unrelated action (we allow one 'attribute' physical ability, like Large, Tough, Agile, etc. as a no-action augment). You could use Tough straight as a defense against damage (particularly poisons, falling, windstorms, etc.), meaning he just stands there and takes the blow - traditional movie tough-guy-takes- it-on-the-chin stuff.

> 2. Also, could such an ability be used to apply a handicap to your
opponent?
> Can abilities be used in this manner?

I can't see Tough being used in such a manner, but other Abilities could be.

> 3. Take the example of Kallai fighting a Zombie....he switches to
using a
> fight undead feat (17) rather than his close combat (5W).
> Why on earth would you do that? What is the advantage?

I wouldn't have switched abilities, I'd have augmented CC with the feat (I think someone, possibly Roderick, once said that too - the example wasn't too logical). However, you COULD say it means zombies curl up and die at 0 AP...

> Should I be sending these very basic questions elsewhere?
> I hate to waste your time with this stuff (which probably has been
discussed
> before)....

It has been, it will be again. Never the same answer twice. That's what the list is for (but have a read at the eratta and FAQ too).

Wulf