Re: augments n' fightin'

From: tim_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:00:15 -0000

Not to mention the fact that it's one of those numbers I always forget about in the heat of the moment when running the game. So while techincally it may be more difficult for a Humakt devotee to cast "Swordhelp" on his Iron Greatsword than his bronze shortsword, in general in my games, it is unlikely to make a difference. Now when he wants to permenantly enchant his swords with "Swordhelp" to save time augmenting before combat, That's when I'll include those penalties.

I'm generally in agreement with Roderick here. Making his sword heavy before he picks it up and starts waving it around is a clever use of magic. Doing the same thing while he is trying to cleave you or your companions is a regular HW attack, and the effects should be expressed in terms of AP rather than as a penalty or handicap.

The same is true for Visage of Fear, (for example). I would tend to treat this as a simple contest (to make opponents flee without offering resistance) or an extended contest, reducing their AP (if successful)where it was used once combat had started, or against foes who will attack despite their fear.

...or Maybe both at once! The Dark Troll leader and his band of trollkin are hit by this effect. Simple contest for the Trollkin (who will either flee in Terror, or realise they are more scared of their own side and attack reagrdless) while the Troll will attack anyway, but the effect of the feat leaves him at a disadvantage (fewer AP's).